CHARLOTTE, N. Dominic Leone .C. -- Its been 10 years since a driver last attempted running both the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 on the same day, a feat so grueling that only Tony Stewart has successfully completed all 1,100 miles. Now Kurt Busch wants to give "the double" a try and he will have cars capable of winning both races. He said Tuesday he will attempt to make the Indianapolis 500 in a fifth entry for Andretti Autosport. Should he make the May 25 race, Busch would then fly to Charlotte Motor Speedway to fulfil his full-time job with Stewart-Haas Racing -- a team co-owned by Stewart -- in NASCARs longest event of the year. "Im a fan of motorsports, a student of motorsports, and I view this as a challenge for myself," Busch said in an interview with The Associated Press. "Memorial Day weekend, the central focus of all motorsports is Monaco, Indianapolis and Charlotte and this is a tremendous opportunity to be right in the middle of it." Only John Andretti, Stewart and Robby Gordon have attempted the "double," and no driver has tried since Gordon in 2004. "Welcome to the club!" Gordon posted on his Twitter account. Stewart, Buschs new co-owner at Stewart-Haas, is the only driver to complete the double. He did it in his second and final attempt, in 2001, when he finished sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte. An Indiana native who grew up dreaming of winning the Indianapolis 500, Stewart long ago abandoned that goal and passed on an offer last year from Roger Penske to drive one of his cars in the 2013 Indianapolis 500. But Stewart has given Busch his blessing. "Its a great opportunity for Kurt and I fully support him," Stewart said Tuesday. "Hell have a lot to learn in a short amount of time, but he has an overwhelming amount of driving talent on his side. He has a great car owner with Michael Andretti, whos not only an owner, but hes been a driver too. "Michael has so much to offer Kurt in terms of knowledge and firsthand experience. It really seems like a natural pairing." Buschs attempt comes at a much different time than when Gordon and Stewart last tried to run both races. Social media didnt exist a decade ago, and Busch plans to utilize every avenue possible to let fans follow along with his attempt. On Tuesday, he even launched a website -- www.kurtbuschdouble.com -- that is expected to chronicle his efforts. "I think this is something that is good for NASCAR, good for IndyCar, good for the fans to get behind and really feel like they are part of," Busch said. "There was no social media, or the means for fans to get an in-depth look at what goes into the double when the others tried it. We think weve got an opportunity to make people feel like they are part of the experience with me." Busch first flirted with the idea last May when he completed the Indy 500 rookie orientation program with Andretti. He didnt put a program together to run the 500, and said hes second-guessed that decision at times. "I took the conservative route and sometimes I kick myself because Carlos Munoz finished second as a rookie in that car last year," Busch said. "So now Im challenging myself to do something great in motorsports." Andretti will unveil the car and primary sponsor for Busch at a later date. "Im really excited to have Kurt come onboard for the Indy 500. He did a great job for us when he tested last year," Andretti said. "Hes obviously a natural talent and we feel he is going to take to the Indy car quickly and have a competitive month with us." Busch, an advocate for The Armed Forces Foundation who is dedicating his effort to the men and women in the U.S. military, will bring at least two personal sponsors. Cessna has signed on to help with his transportation between IndyCar and NASCAR, and Busch estimates it will require at least 20 hours of flight time shuttling him back and forth between both series. Hes also teamed with Basis, a wrist-based health tracker Busch is using to help with his training leading up to the double. Busch has also taken up martial arts and joked hes entered "a boot camp phase" of his personal training. "You can get your body ready, and do all the cardio needed and follow the nutritional guidelines," he said. "But the mental aspect of running 1,100 miles is like nothing you can prepare for. I think the martial arts can help with that." He said hes spoken to Stewart, as well as former Penske teammates Helio Castroneves and Sam Hornish Jr., and Juan Pablo Montoya, who left NASCAR to drive for Penske in IndyCar this season, about his venture. Castroneves, Hornish and Montoya are all former Indy 500 winners. "All of them have given me great support and told me, You can do this," Busch said. Indeed, three-time winner Castroneves welcomed Busch to the field: "Congrats on the #indy500, see u there!!" he tweeted. Busch will not participate in an IndyCar race before the Indy 500, but president of competition Derrick Walker said last month the series would try to accommodate him with track time much the same way it has Montoya, who has received additional testing time in his preparation for the season. "To add a driver with the resume of Kurt Busch to the Indianapolis 500 field is a huge gain for IndyCar," Walker said. "We want to see the best 33 drivers put their skills to the test on the biggest stage in motorsports, regardless of which series they come from. To attempt the double is a tremendous challenge, and were looking forward to watching Kurt accomplish the feat." Buschs path to the Indy 500 will begin in earnest after the May 10 Sprint Cup race at Kansas. Hes expected to spend a week testing Andrettis Honda, and make at least 10 trips between Indy and Charlotte as he participates in NASCARs All-Star race and attempts to qualify for the 500, race in the 500 and the 600. He said hes worked out several scheduling issues with NASCAR and has permission from Charlotte Motor Speedway to helicopter onto the frontstretch of the track to speed up his arrival for the second race. Busch won the Coca-Cola 600 -- which is a full 100 miles longer than any other race on the NACAR schedule -- in 2010. "As a past Coca-Cola 600 champion, Kurt Busch knows what a test of endurance 600 miles can be. To race 1,100 is nearly impossible," said Charlotte Motor Speedway president Marcus Smith. "To even attempt this takes a lot of guts. Fans will appreciate this effort, and I know theyll be as excited as I will, watching the clock to see if he can make it to Charlotte in time for our green flag." Charlotte officials said theyll track Buschs journey from Indianapolis on their massive big screen video board in the infield of the speedway so fans can follow and anticipate his arrival. But if he wins the 500, Busch knows hell be late to Charlotte -- if he makes it all. However, NASCARs new Chase for the Sprint Cup championship format means all Busch has to do this year is win a race to earn a spot in the 16-driver Chase, and he can afford to miss the start of the 600 and not jeopardize his regular job. "As long as we attempt to qualify for every race, we are eligible for the Chase under the new rules," Busch said. "Its like you are in New York City, on Broadway, and you look up at all the bright lights -- they are clearly pointing to this being the right time to do this. The green light is on." Ozzie Smith . Ryu (8-3) allowed a run and three hits in six innings and struck out six in his 13th start. In his first 13 starts last season -- his first in the major leagues -- the left-hander was 8-5 with a 2.85 ERA. This was the ninth time this year that Ryu has allowed fewer than three earned runs, and he is 7-0 in those games. Jack Buck . -- Having already fallen behind because of the NFL lockout, Blaine Gabbert couldnt afford a lengthy holdout.Bradfords joint chairman Mark Lawn has branded the Football Leagues proposals to introduce a fifth division to the competition as ridiculous. The League wants to create four divisions of 20 teams below the Premier League in time for the 2019-20 season, increasing the number of professional clubs in England from 92 to 100, but Lawn is vehemently opposed to the plan.Weve had this structure for years because it has suited the majority of clubs, so why change it? Lawn told Press Association Sport. Why? What they dont understand is that currently we have 23 home games. We need the crowds. We dont get the money Championship clubs get.Losing four home games means we lose four incomes. Its not so bad for us but for teams like Accrington and York thats a lot of money. Its ridiculous.Lawn said he had not heard about the Leagues plans for a radical shake-up. They certainly havent come out and consulted with all the clubs because this is the first Ive heard about it, he added.If we were voting now Id be voting against it. The only reason I can think of is that, yet again, the Championship clubs want it.Peterboroughs director of football Barry Fry said his club had not been notified of the governing bodys intentions either.Im very surprised with all my contacts in the game that I didnt know about this already, he said. Until I see the proposals and how it affects the clubs I cant really comment.Accrington, as Lawn expected, are set to raise strong objections to the plan being implemented.Club owner Andrew Holt said he saw no merit in the Football Leagues strategy, and predicted it would be costly to Stanley.He said: I dont recognise it as a sensible plan. We want more games. Wed rather play 50 home games.We need revenue. We dont want to lose any games. I dont recognise it as having any sense.Our players will play as many games as we want. We pay them an annual salary; we want them to play games. We need the revenue.We certainly wouldnt want less games.Holt told Sky Sports News: Its got to hurt us if we lose any revenue. Im putting cash in to fill a black hole. If we have less matches and less revenue, Ill have to put more in, and Im not going to do that.If were going to play 20 times a year its hardly worth having a stadium. I cant see any sense or any logic in the proposals.Its just not going to geet our support. Tyler ONeill. I need them coming up with better ideas where we can get more games on and generate more revenue for our clubs. These bottom clubs dont have a lot of revenue and we need to build it, not reduce it.Rotherham chairman Tony Stewart does not think the proposals will affect his club.Its a long time in football until 2018, the proposals dont worry me, he said. Ive built a stadium and invested a lot of money in order to enjoy the fruits of higher-tier football.If I had not had that ambition I wouldnt have spent over £30million. As far as Im concerned it doesnt bother me.What I will say is there is a big gulf between the Championship and the Premier League, a great divide, and the money that is shared out is disproportionate.The problem now is foreign investors coming in and taking a gamble. Theyre mortgaging a lot of money to try and get in the Premier League and its turning into a bit of a casino.There is also a divide between the Championship and League One and Two and the gaps need filling in.Brentford chief executive Mark Devlin welcomed the discussion, saying: The Football League is to be absolutely applauded for coming up with an innovative and far-reaching approach and set of proposals.These proposals are a really good start for how we can tackle some of the problems Football League clubs are facing.He picked out fixture congestion, dips in attendances for midweek matches and player fatigue as issues facing teams.Im not saying all the proposals are workable and theyre bound to divide opinion but I look at them very positively, Devlin told Sky Sports News HQ.Devlin said any change to the current system must not adversely affect revenue streams, and expressed a preference for National League clubs joining the Football League rather than B teams from Premier League sides.Undoubtedly the Premier League may well be able to offer financial incentives to make that much more of an appealing proposition, but on a personal basis I would prefer to see National League teams, Devlin said.I think it would be much better if there are more teams serving their communities rather than B teams from Premier League sides. Also See: Bradford video Bradford fixtures Bradford stats ' ' '
MANCHESTER, England - Mario Balotelli sparked a dramatic fightback by Liverpool and Chelsea needed a late own goal to edge past plucky fourth-tier opposition as the two Premier League giants squeezed into the League Cup quarterfinals. Blazers Jerseys 2021 .Late goals settled four of the five last-16 matches on Tuesday — and two were scored at Anfield as Liverpool came from behind to beat Swansea 2-1.Balotelli, criticized in recent weeks for a string of below-par displays, inspired the comeback by coming off the bench to score an 86th-minute equalizer before Dejan Lovren headed in the winner in the fifth minute of stoppage time.Finally! Balotelli said on Twitter after scoring his first goal in six weeks and only his second for Liverpool since joining from AC Milan in August.A patched-up Chelsea lineup looked like being taken to extra time by Shrewsbury, a team 71 places below it in English footballs pyramid, only for Jermaine Grandison to head into his own net after 81 minutes to seal a 2-1 win for the Premier League leaders.Didier Drogba had given Chelsea the lead in the 48th, with the 36-year-old striker scoring for the third straight game and just two days after netting at Manchester United in the Premier League.It was a difficult pitch and difficult weather, said Drogba, one of four Chelsea starters who also began the 1-1 draw against United. They were a fantastic team and opponent — they showed why they deserve to be here tonight.West Bromwich Albions decision to field a virtual reserve team against second-tier Bournemouth backfired in a 2-1 loss for the upset of the round.Derby and Sheffield United, who play in the second and third tiers respectively, also advanced on Tuesday.Manchester City and Tottenham are among those looking to reach the last eight on Wednesday.Balotelli started on the bench against Swansea but was thrown on by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers in the 79th minute after Marvin Emnes volleyed the visitors into the lead. Within seven minutes, Balotelli guided home a cross from Fabio Borini to equalize.Swansea defender Federico Fernandez was shown a red card in the second minute of injury time for a foul on Philippe Coutinho, who provided the cross from a free kick that Lovren headed in at the back post for a last-gasp winner.Chelsea remained unbeaten in all competitions this season — and reached the last eight of the League Cup for the fourth straight season — but only after surviving a scare against the lowest-ranked team left in the competition.Drogba has starred in the absence of injured fellow strikers Loic Remy and Diego Costa, scoring against Maribor in the Champions League last week, at Old Trafford on Sunday and again against Shrewsbury when he swept home a left-footed finish from Mohamed Salahs pass.Shrewsbury equalized in the 77th minute through Andy Mangan but was on level terms for just four minutes, as substitute Willians teasing cross was diverted in by Grandison.I was ready for extra time, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said.There was late drama, too, at Bournemouth, which reached the quarterfinals for the first time thanks to Callum Wilsons 86th-minute strike. West Brom had equalized just a minute earlier from an own goal.By scoring five times in 20 minutes, Derby came from 2-0 down to beat Fulham 5-2 away in a match between two League Championship teams. Sheffield United beat fellow third-tier side MK Dons 2-1. Rod Strickland Jersey .A. Happ capped a challenging season with one of his best efforts of the year. Cliff Robinson Jersey . -- Having already fallen behind because of the NFL lockout, Blaine Gabbert couldnt afford a lengthy holdout.HOUSTON -- Jadeveon Clowney was on the field with the Houston Texans as they opened camp on Saturday. But the No. 1 overall pick in this years draft was limited as he continues to recover from surgery to repair a sports hernia. Clowney, who had surgery on June 12, participated in the majority of the drills as Houston started camp with a 2 1/2-hour practice on Saturday morning. But he was held out of 11 on 11 drills late in the workout. The first workout was open to the public and fans cheered as Clowney trotted onto the field for the start of practice. Others squealed and yelled his name as he walked off of it and he flashed a big smile before first taking a second to pull his flowing dreadlocks, which were drenched in sweat from the workout, away from his face. He said hes feeling better, but isnt 100 per cent yet. Despite that Clowney didnt appear to be slowed by the injury and moved around well during practice. He said its up to the trainers if hell be able to take part in drills when the Texans move from shorts and shells to full pads in a few days. "Im just taking it one day at a time," Clowney said. "Im just letting the trainers take it one day at a time and try to come back and get back for the first game." The Texans open the preseason on Aug. 9 at Arizona. Coach Bill OBrien said hell let the trainers decide how much Clowney will do and when. "Weve got the best when it comes to that," OBrien said. "We do that and these guys are edgy, they want to get going, but its a long season. So we bring them back at their pace. When theyre ready to go, theyll go." The 6-foot-5, 266-pound former South Carolina standout is moving from defensive end to outside linebacker in defensive co-ordinator Romeo Crennels systemm and believes the transition is going well. Gary Trent Jersey . "Im feeling very comfortable, but Ive still got a lot of work to do," Clowney said. "Just keep getting better and better each day." Hell pair with 2012 Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt to beef up Houstons already solid pass rush. Clowney had 130 tackles, 24 sacks, 47 tackles for losses and 20 quarterback pressures in a three-year career at South Carolina. He also caused a school-record nine fumbles and deflected seven passes. The 21-year-old also set a South Carolina record with 13 sacks in 2012. Watt said hes eager to see how Clowney and the rest of Houstons rookies perform in camp. "Training camp is a good time for rookies to get their feet wet," Watt said. "Once we finally put the pads on, it will be a good opportunity to see how they perform in a situation like that. So it will be exciting." Clowneys still soaking in the fact that he now gets to play with people he watched over the past several years. "Its very exciting," he said. "It was exciting the first time I got out here with the guys I looked up to coming into the NFL -- J.J. Watt, Johnathan Joseph, D.J. (Swearinger), guys like that on my team I just I looked up to before I got here. So now that Im here with them, its even better." Clowney missed Houstons three-day minicamp because of his surgery, but got going early by participating in Houstons off-season workouts leading up to that camp. He feels as if that helped him improve since he was drafted in May. "Im a lot better than where I was," he said. "Ive learned a lot of the playbook already. Coach already said that we look good out there, so weve just got to keep pushing." ' ' '